Can you smell that?…
…I’m pretty sure that smell is summertime!! Have you been enjoying the weather as much as I have lately? It’s been getting me just a tad bit excited. Let me tell you why:
- This is the first summer I’ll get to spend almost every day with our daughter. She’s at such a fun age and we’re going to try to take advantage of all of the warm weather activities around us. I’ve already signed us up for three classes. Bring it on, summer days!
- The huz has summer hours at his job = hello Fridays spent as a family.
- Speaking of my husband, bless his soul. He’s been doing a ton of yard work around our house and our backyard is looking pretty and green because of it. We also bought a new outdoor dining table and fire pit and I’m definitely looking forward to spending most of my time in the backyard.
- Just warm weather in general. My family and friends know I love me some Vitamin D. Hello splash pad and pool!
- All the summer food. Does this even need an explanation? Fresh veggies and fruits are already calling my name and I can’t wait to devour all of the summer salads.
Speaking of summer salads, I decided to get a head start on the summer food making and put together this summer pesto and burrata farro salad. It’s super tasty and includes so many of my favorite summer flavors! The burrata and pesto mix perfectly together; the salad has the right amount of creamy and the lemon adds a tangy bite. I also love the crunch the arugula gives the dish, especially when eaten fresh.
You have to make this in the coming months! It’s perfect for all of the summer parties you’ll be attending, or just to enjoy on your own outdoors in a lawn chair.
P.S. If you’re wondering what farro is, no biggie, it’s a grain and kind of reminds me of a mixture between barley and brown rice.
Summer Pesto and Burrata Farro Salad
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 cups of uncooked farro
- 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups of arugula
- 8 oz of burrata cheese
- Additional salt to taste
Cook the farro according to the packaging, I cooked it in six cups of water.
While the farro is cooking, make the pesto. Combine pine nuts, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Add the basil, salt and Parmigiano-Reggiano to the mixture and process until combined.
When the farro is done cooking, drain it and place it in a medium bowl. Add pesto, arugula and burrata cheese (break it up with your hands or a knife) and salt to taste (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt).
2 thoughts on “Summer Pesto and Burrata Farro Salad”
Smells amazing! Can’t wait to try this salad
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! Let me know what you think.
LikeLiked by 1 person